Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dumplings!

Hello all!

I thought I would have more time to post on this blog, but, alas, I have over estimated the trials of third year medical school. Here is a quick picture post of my dumpling making adventures with my old roommate. The process is pretty self explanatory. Chop ingredients, stir together, fill dumplings, fry/boil, devour. We make two different kinds. Chive, Shrimp and scrambled egg. Pork, lotus root and cumin. Also, we used a northern style dumpling wrapper so the dumplings were a bit thicker. 

The Chives, Shrimp and Egg

This was such an interesting combination. Apparently, this is quite common mixture of ingredients where my roommate was from which is in the northern part of China. The eggs really keep the dumplings moist inside. We didn't add any extra seasonings but I think I would add a pinch of five spice to give it a little kick.














The Lotus Root, Pork and Cumin

I had never cooked with lotus root before, but it was surprisingly a delicious ingredient. It had a very mild, starchy flavor and a great crunch. However, we made the mistake of buying lean pork, like dumpling neophytes. If you want moist, pork dumplings, get the fattiest meat you can find. I know people who go to butchers to have them grind up meat with chunks of fat thrown in for just that reason. So, forget the calorie count for a day and embrace the fat. And the delicious moistness of your dumplings. Regardless, though, our dumplings tasted pretty darn good even without the fatty additions, but they were just a little bit dry. 












The Assembly






Floured surface






A little dollop





Pinch the ends together and them crimp





The finished product!




No comments:

Post a Comment